Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Is my therapist a play therapist?

So, how do you know if your therapist is a play therapist? 

A play therapist must have received specialized training in play therapy and working with children.  After extensive training the counselor then receives the credentials of a Registered Play Therapist.  Therefore, the letters RPT will show up as part of their credentialing. 

There are many therapists that work with children, and that do a great job, but are not play therapists.  Playing games with children and interacting with them using dolls and puppets is playing, however it is not always play therapy.  It is important to be informed about the methods that your therapist is using.

Play therapy is empirically based (proven through research) and shown to be an effective method of counseling children and families (and even grown ups). 

If you have further questions regarding what play therapy means you can check out the resources page of this blog or other posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment


108 E Central Ave.
(On the square, above Table Mesa)
Bentonville, AR 72712

About Me

Licensed Associate Counselor, Licensed Assoicate Marriage and Family Therapist, Registered Play Therapist